Multiplex Constructions has won the 2018 Australian Construction Achievement Award for its work on the Optus Stadium and Stadium Park at Burswood in Perth, Western Australia.
The annual award, promoted by the Australian Constructors Association (ACA) and Engineers Australia, recognises some of the major companies – and their projects – in Australia’s construction industry.
Trish White, National President of Engineers Australia, praised the quality of the finalists and said they demonstrated an evolution in quality design and performance within the construction industry.
“The drive for best-for-project outcomes utilising good cross-team relationships is an apparent factor in the success of these constructions,” she said.
Chair of the Judging Panel, David Cruickshanks-Boyd, also commended the project.
“The Perth Stadium is a best-practice example of how the engineering and construction industry can deliver a truly wonderful community asset – a major stadium within a community park which recognises and celebrates our environmental and traditional cultural heritage.
He said the project team, led by Multiplex Constructions, provided innovative solutions to overcome difficult ground conditions, including dealing with a previous land fill site close to alluvial sediment.
“Innovation continued throughout the above ground structure especially the design of the roof trusses, which allowed for a much safer construction as well as a significant saving to the project budget,” Mr. Cruickshanks-Boyd said.
“The project exemplified the benefits which can be achieved when the client, community, constructor and engineer work together in a culture which is collaborative and respectful, with everyone focused on delivering an outstanding outcome.”
The other finalists were for the award were:
- Macquarie Rapid Build Prison at Wellington NSW by Hansen Yuncken
- Northern Beaches Hospital at Frenchs Forest NSW by CPB Contractors Pty Limited
- Pacific Highway Upgrade: Warrell Creek to Nambucca Heads (WC2NH) at
- Macksville NSW by Pacifico Acciona Ferrovial JV
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility (PEQF) at Mickleham VIC by CPB Contractors Pty Limited
- Princes Highway Upgrade for Foxground and Berry Bypass at Berry NSW by Fulton Hogan Construction Pty Ltd