The first section of the Neville Bonner pedestrian bridge, part of the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane precinct, has been positioned in place at South Bank.
The Riverside Expressway will close this weekend when a 40-metre, 43 tonne section of the bridge will be craned into place at the city end.
The pedestrian bridge is being named after Neville Thomas Bonner, who 50 years ago was chosen to fill a casual Senate vacancy making him the first Indigenous Australian to sit in the Australian Parliament.
Queen’s Wharf Brisbane is being delivered by Destination Brisbane Consortium, a joint venture between The Star Entertainment Group, and Hong Kong-based Chow Tai Fook Enterprises and Far East Consortium
Expected to open in 2022, Queen’s Wharf Brisbane will transform Brisbane’s CBD and river’s edge by developing an integrated entertainment resort that will cover more than 26 hectares across land and water.
Queensland’s Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development Steven Miles said the project was about 80 weeks away from opening late next year.
“This is another milestone in the world-class development that will transform Brisbane’s CBD, boost tourism and create thousands more jobs when complete,” Miles said.
“By this time next year more than 1500 workers will be on site at Queen’s Wharf as it readies to welcome an estimated 1.4 million annual visitors,” he explained. ““Eventually more than 8,000 workers will be employed across the precinct.”
The Queensland budget, which was released earlier this week, included a further boost for job creation. $3.34 billion was announced for the Queensland Jobs Fund, which included a $ 350 million Industry Partnership Program to deliver multi-industry projects.
The Riverside Expressway will be temporarily closed this weekend from 10pm Friday 18 June until 5am Monday 21 June.